Monday, October 08, 2007

Starcraft and poker

I ran across this passage on Reasonable Deviations, quoting from Nuclear Phynance
I used to play this game called StarCraft in the late 90s, wherein you can build up an army and advance your own technology by collecting resources. My strategy against the computer was to avoid battles and focus on defenses until I had advanced to the highest point of technology, then to Unleash the Fury and wipe the computer out in a massive but short battle of inevitable victory.

...

But when I started play online against other people, I found that sometimes relatively weak players could win battles against me by ‘rushing‘, wherein they focus all of their initial efforts on offense, ignoring the longer term goals of resource collecting and defense.


Sound familiar?

And Starcraft players even started acting like poker pros when
In other circles, some players would agree beforehand that there would be ‘no rushing‘, because they preferred the long game.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger nerkul said...

Indeed, you can learn good strategy from many diverse games. They say some poker concepts can best be illustrated via London lowball and razz, likewise everything I know about exploiting small edges I picked up from a psycho ex wife.

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home