Sunday, July 15, 2007

A raise on the river

I'm not sure I agree with this raise on the river.
The flop came 9h-8h-7s. Everyone checked and I checked.

The turn was the 6s. The small blind checked, the big blind bet $3. One other player and I called. $14.25 pot after rake.

The river was the 6h. The small blind bet $4. The other player folded, and it's my turn.

Our hero made it 12, the villian folded.

Read the post. There's a lot of explanation of why it's a good raise.

I'm not so sure about it myself.

Any thoughts?

Update:
One of the things I often forget to do is to write for the search engines. This post is about an online, nolimit holdem poker game. A low stakes poker game played on the internet. Just wanted to clarify that poker concept and comment on the strategy.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Dr Zen said...

I don't like it at all. I think it's one of those bets that most worse hands won't call and better hands will. The small blind has checked and called, and suddenly comes to life...

Her analysis seems a bit off to me. Trip sixes is never calling a raise here. That's probably what SB has and has thrown out a blocking bet. A T-high straight might call our raise, but we have one of the straight cards, so there are only three out there. A lot of players fold the straight to the though. I'm not sure I'd call on this board, with a boat there and a flush. I probably wouldn't bet the straight either, but would call a bet with it. A weaker flush might call it, but 5h4h, 6h4h and 7hxh are betting the flop, I think, so there aren't that many left out there.

Her action is a bit confused too. She says that the small blind checked the turn, but then says he bet it. If he bet the turn, he has the straight most likely and I can't see him paying off a raise.

6:36 PM  
Blogger Gary Carson said...

I pretty much agree with you Dr. Zen.

I think our hero was letting the idea that her hand is probably best get in front of her. I think the analysis that it was very likely the 10 high flush was best was probably on target, but the analysis of why the evil one would be calling with all those worse hands just missed the mark.

Maybe something we weren't told about the evil one would change my thinking, but I doubt it.

9:43 AM  
Blogger Greylocks said...

As for the action, I meant to say the big blind bet the turn.

I think I explained my rationale pretty clearly, but I'll quote the relevant portion:

"I believed that almost any hand he would call with would lose, and that with almost any hand that could beat me, he would have played it differently."

It's not a matter of how many losing hands would call, but the ratio of losing hands to winning hands that would call. I felt the ratio was in my favor. You might not agree with that assessment, of course.

The fact is, they do make a lot of bad calls on the river in online games. They can't do that if you don't bet or raise. The statement that "trip sixes is never calling here" is simply not true. I had a player call me tonight with second pair in a very similar situation (except I had the boat this time).

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home