Sunday, August 31, 2008

Look at the board

I was playing a 3-handed game the other night, we were playing 1/2 blinds with a $10 straddle on the button. I had about $450 in chips and the other two players each had a little more than that.

I had gotten stuck about $300 in the game before we got shorthanded and had recovered by just chipping away, mostly one of the two opponents. Both of them were pretty good players and the game wouldn't have been playable if one of them didn't have a clear tell. Whenever she really liked her hand her body got erect, shoulders back, head high. It was very obvious.

I had a J7 on the button and both the other's limped. I checked.

I thought the flop was 8 9 10 rainbow. It turns out I misread the flop, but I thought I'd flopped a straight. The woman with the tell bet $10. I could tell she liked her hand. I was unsure about whether my straight was good, but I made it $40 and she got deflated. So I was no longer worried about her having a better straight, I thought maybe a set, more likely top two pair, maybe even a T J.

The turn was a K. She sat up straight. She really liked that card. Liked it a lot. I could tell from her body language. She bet $40. I'm thinking she likely had KK. That's the only hand I could think of that would explain her first liking her hand, then not liking it so much after I raised on the flop, then liking it again when the K hit. She could have limped with KK preflop. She'd done that before.

I raised $120. She called but she clearly still liked her hand. The river was a 7, giving us the same hand if she had something like TJ or KJ. She checked. I bet $150. She raised, I had about $75 left. Now I didn't know what the hell she had, but I thought the same jack high straight I had was the most likely. Of course I called.

She had a K T. That would have been great if I'd have paying less attention to her posture and taken the trouble to look back at the board at sometime during the play of the hand. The original flop hadn't been 8 9 T. It had been 8 T T. I didn't have a straight. I had a pair of 7's against her tens full of kings.

I'm an idiot.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home