Thursday, July 19, 2007

A PLO laydown

I have 6422 double suited in the small blind in an online PLO game.

There's an early position raise, a late position call, I call, the big blind calls.

The flop is T66. I bet. The big blind raises. The original opener re-raises. The late position player folds.

Now what?

I can't imagine how my hand could possibly be any good. So I fold. The big blind goes all in, the opener calls.

I'd have ended up with 6's full of 2's. But that's not important.

The big blind had a single T, and not much else. He'd raised with JT88 on that flop.

The other guy, the opener who won the pot, had KKxx.

OK. This is going to be fun.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr Zen said...

Reads?

I'm inclined to put the early position raiser on a big pair, Gary, so it's immaterial that he reraises the flop. He could have a pair of Ts, I suppose. His range in this spot would have to be AAxx/KKxx/TTxx, maybe QQxx/JJxx and I suppose it's vaguely possible, depending on the player, that he has KQJT or some other TPGK hand. (He could also have the draw I mention for BB below, but I'm not sure how many players raise preflop with that.) He could of course have AA6x, but I'm not all that keen on putting a player who has other possibilities for raising on the case six.

It's the BB that we are worried about. It seems tough to me to put him on T6 or a bigger six. I guess the fold's not so bad though. You are facing a tough decision already and you're in the sandwich.

I'm not much of an Omaha player but I could find a fold here. I generally find -- correct me if I'm wrong -- that when I only use one of my holecards to make my hand (your kicker isn't doing anything here), I'm very vulnerable, the more so with every player in. (I'd be just that little bit less vulnerable with A6xx.) Leaving aside the chance of someone else's having the case card, there's going to be tons of cards that make the other guys' hands. Another T kills you, any card bigger than 6 that trips up the other guys' pocket pair, straight cards (BB can easily have AT79 or QJ98 and feel his combined chances or draw are good). Actually, against QJ98 and AAxx, I think you are behind.

6:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home