Sunday, May 06, 2007

Big pots in small games

Karol of I had Outs has a quote from the author of Hunting Fish: A Cross-Country Search for America's Worst Poker Players
It’s $2-$5 and we’re playing very deep. At the start of the hand I have about $1,900 in my stack, and two people at the table have me covered, including one of the principles in this hand.

A fairly loose, rather aggressive player with about 3k in his stack, open-raises for $35. He’s been taking some liberties, I think, and when I see A-K, I decide to try and isolate. I raise to $125. FOUR PEOPLE call $125 cold. What book prepares you for a $500 preflop pot in a $2-$5 game?


While that's not typical in a 2/5 game, I'm don't think it's all that unusual, I think he needs to get out more.

I'm reminded of one pot in a 1/2 game at Gold Strike in Tunica. Four of us get all-in preflop, two with about $1,000 and the other two with about $500. Three pros and a land developer from Memphis. Three of us had AK. One of the pros had a 57 and he spiked a 7 to take down most of the pot.

That was a pretty big pot.

Another night in the same game the pot was over 3k preflop, heads up with AA (me) and AQs (the winner).

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home