Sunday, April 15, 2007

Miller got one right

Ed Miller has another post up in a series of post he's planning on the nth most important steps in playing no limit hold'em. His first was playing tight, and I had argued that that was not the most important step, the most important step is playing position.

I guess he decided he agreed with me after all. Now he's saying that the number one mistake he sees people make is playing out of position.

I think I agree with that, that depends on what he means by number one. It's certainly the most frequent. It's probably not the most costly though, that would belong to making bad calls on later streets.

People playing out of position is the #1 mistake I see. I probably make more money from chronic out-of-position players than from anyone else.


If that's true I think Ed plays too passively against calling stations.

A lot of what no-limit is too me is letting them have the small pots and me taking the big ones. Miller and I disagree in a big way about the fundamental nature of playing no-limit. But it's still interesting to see how he's looking at the game.

Maybe he'll get to that one next.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Ed probably agrees with you about the destination, just not totally about the road you take. Ed's book showed a keenness to bluff though that, I don't know, maybe works at a higher level, but down where I play, would be a money loser. Because I find the same as you: the worst mistake people make is to call.

5:52 PM  
Blogger Gary Carson said...

Ed is a Sklansky/Malmuth fan. There's a long standing debate between Caro and Sklansky about whether you want them to fold or to call. Caro argued that even if you make more money when they fold, you should encourage them to make more bad calls, because you're more likely to succeed.

I'm a big Caro fan. Miller is a big Malmuth fan, hence Sklansky fan.

I'm guessing Ed doesn't agree with me about much at all, and what he thinks he agrees with he probably misunderstands.

I know that back in the days when I played no limit for a living every day whenever I had a losing day I could point to one bad call I made which accounted for the whole loss. Without fail.

I seldom had a winning day that could be explained by stealing some little pissant pot, which is something Ed seems to think you should devote a lot of effort to.

11:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home