Tuesday, June 27, 2006

On the button with a couple of hands.

In a Tuesday afternoon 2/5 NL HE game in Durant, OK. Buy in range is 300-500. I have a little more than 300 in the first hand I'm going to describe.

I'd been playing a little tight for about an hour, hour and a half. I'm on the button, have 3c6c. Three players limp in for $5. They are all fairly straightfoward, unimaginigitive player. The first player doesn't seem to play position well, the second player is a little loose, finds it a little hard to throw a hand away. The third player I don't know much about, seems solid, but I don't know. (This is the second day I've played with those first two players).

I thought I could just pick up the loose change with a $30 bet. I'd been playing tight. If they called and I got lucky on the flop I might be able to double up. I made it $35.

The first player called, the other two folded. Foiled.

The rainbow flop was actually perfect -- TJQ. When you raise preflop and they call they almost always put you on AK. So even if this flop paired him he might be afraid to pick it up.

He seemed like he wanted to bet. He took a long time to check. Not really tanking, just uncertain about what he wanted to do. I grabbed a handful of chips and bet, turned out it was $45. He tanked some this time. Finially he folded.

I usually don't show bluffs. But for some reason I did this time. He said that he had the bet hand, a 56. I think he actually had closer to a 9T. But, anyway, I won it, and everybody at the table noticed the bluff.

Right or wrong, that's how I played that hand and it's relevant because of what happened two rounds later when I'm on the button with KK. I have close to $500 in chips.

The same player who had called my preflop raise before limped, all others fold, I made it 25, the small blind, a generally tight young careful and attentive player, quickly called. The limper called. Flop is 34T, two diamonds and a spade. I had Kd. The small blind bet 30, the limper folded.

I made it 130, saying, "Let's make it 130 and see where we are". He moves all in, another 340. I have that covered.

I'm not sure about this one. Another player said, "Well, now you know where you are". I said, "I was much happier when I didn't know".

The other player had acted quickly, and was giving off "toughness" vibes, whatever that means. It was just a feeling I had. Also, I had recently folded a couple of hands to a raise or re-raise, so that with the bluff I'd shown probably meant to him that was likely weak and probably wouldn't call. And, having the Kd helped, so I called. It became an easy call, but I had to think about it and I didn't like it.

He was bluffing, or else he just put me on AdKd. He had an ATc. I won.

I'm going back to Durant soon. I'd forgotten how lucrative it can be to play with the same batch of predictible people everyday. Espeicially when I'm not that predictable.

Anybody have any comments about this? I'd like to hear them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home